Monday, January 10, 2011

Where's the Photo?

I feel disappointed in myself that I haven't really picked up my camera in days.  I haven't really...anything in days.  I wanted to shoot last night some star shots (I love the sky, clouds, stars, moon, constellations, planes, birds).  Anyways, I really wanted to do that last night.  I had waited all week for the clouds to pass and yesterday was the first and only cloudless night in our area for a little while.  I didn't end up going because around 11:30 last night it hit the low 30's and it was estimated to drop to 27 the time I was planning on going out to take photos.  Needless to say, since I'm such a Californian, I can't stand being that cold.  My body actually goes through a physical shut down.  Instead, I've collected some kick@ss reference how-to's that I want to try.  Here they go, future self, I better have completed atleast some of these within the next six months.

How-to on Star Trails: http://www.danheller.com/star-trails.html
Free Online HDR: http://www.yohdr.com/

And these things don't actually have a link, but just things I've seen:
- Do sets of photos in only black and white, Sepia, etc. (and learn what I like about light...color is a big distraction when it comes to light)
- Every shot, try to show something different.  It's fine to tweak a shot's composition, but taking a slightly different angle of the same things results in...tada the same photo.  Think outside the box and try atleast 5 angles and 3 different locations within the frame...maybe I should play with cropping a single photo more often to place the focal image in different quadrants of the photo.

I'm so freakin' late for work, like always, but since this is a photo blog and I need a picture, here goes:

Model: Canon EOS Rebel T2i with Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens f/3.5-5.6
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/60 sec
Aperture: 5.0
Focal Length: 39mm
Flash Used: Yes



When shooting food in bowls or plates, I try to break up the circles using the edge of the frame to create new shapes.  This one I didn't do such a good job of creating shapes with my frame.  I liked the colors the green onion, chinese mustard and hot sauce added to the photo. Photowise, it's whatever, but tummy wise, it was nom nom nommy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment