Saturday, January 8, 2011

How to get animals to NOT like you



Canon EOS Rebel T2i with Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
ISO: 3200
Exposure: 1/15 sec
Aperture: 1.4
Focal Length: 50mm









As promised, blurry little kitty photos. Though, I do like this one. Again, playing too much with narrow depth of field. It was fun, with the fixed prime lens not being able to zoom and play with a cat. To get her to "do what I wanted" I would pet her. Sometimes you really can catch more flies with honey. =P I cropped this image and darkened the shadows on it. I like how her eyes really pop and because of the blur with the narrow depth of field her fur seems more fluffy and soft, you know, "it's so fluffy I could die" soft.


Here's what NOT to do, example to follow:
- Flash cats, dogs, people
- Keep shutter open long (unless you want blurry shots of everything)
- Assume the camera's algorithms like the same warmth in WB  -- I like things with a little red color saturation to them, makes the photos feel warmer and cozier to me.
- Have such little light in the room that it forces you to use 3200 ISO to chase a freaked cat (noise...you can see it)



Canon EOS Rebel T2i with Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/60 sec
Aperture: 2.8
Focal Length: 50mm

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the first kitty shot - I think the depth of field choice was excellent. It's the eyes that make this shot great - brings kitty to life with such expression.
    Agree with you that in general, flash is no good (unless you use an external flash and bounce it.) As for warmth, since I'm too lazy to do post processing, I tend to set my WB to "cloudy" - it works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sonia! Thanks for the comments. I will have to try the WB trick. So do you use cloudy for just indoor and cloudy situations? I really like your portraits! What kind of lighting equip if any besides ambient do you use with your dog?

    ReplyDelete